12 February 2011

Nesting: They weren't lying

Around the fifth month of pregnancy, the "nesting" instinct can set in. This is an uncontrollable urge to clean one's house brought on by a desire to prepare a nest for the new baby, to tie up loose ends of old projects and to organize your world.

I really didn't think the whole "nesting" thing would be that big of an issue in my pregnancy because I am already an OCD nut who cleans everything on a daily basis. Boy. Was. I. Was. Wrong. What is that a picture of, you ask? My insane cleaning list that included wiping baseboards, organizing closets and steam-cleaning the carpets.

I am proud to say that my enduring husband and kick-ass sister humored me and the entire list is checked off and my house is spotless. (I am embarrassed to say though that I am already ready to do another light cleaning...)

Nesting brings about some unique and seemingly irrational behaviors in pregnant women and all of them experience it differently. Women have reported throwing away perfectly good sheets and towels because they felt the strong need to have "brand new, clean" sheets and towels in their home. They have also reported doing things like taking apart the knobs on kitchen cupboards, just so they could disinfect the screws attached to the knobs. Women have discussed taking on cleaning their entire house, armed with a toothbrush. There seems to be no end to the lengths a nesting mother will go to prepare for her upcoming arrival.

I don't think I was that bad!
However, I am sure if you ask my husband he might be singing a different tune.

The only downside to all of this preparation is I think it has brought on the chest cold of death. I have been hagging and gagging my way through decorating Jackson's nursery and at my 39 week checkup I finally begged for antibiotics.

Now, I am hoping this zpac kicks in before the little guy decides to make his appearance. The doc doesn't want to induce me unless I am healthy. As of right now, my body has until the morning of the 18th to get its ass in gear before I evict Jackson!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like Life As Wife? Join in the conversation!